Looking for a highly motivated, creative, and organized individual to support the mission of the non-profit organization Rematriation Inc., which supports a Sisterhood of Haudenosaunee and Indigenous Women.
We are searching for an individual with a great work ethic and optimistic personality who brings a strong sense of Indigenous community and excellent communication skills. A highly organized collaborator with the ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
The individual may work remotely, but this position is best suited for an individual who, when needed, can travel among the communities of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy and Syracuse, where the organization is located. Travel may be required for local community work and in-office work.
The Independent Contractor will identify best-fit grant opportunities for Rematriation, Inc. that align with organizational priorities and values. The Independent Grant Contractor will write and submit grants on behalf of the organization and in collaboration with Rematriation team members when needed. Rematriation Team Members will support the grant writing process by being available to discuss programmatic details and strategy and assist in the submission of grants when necessary.
The Grant Writer will identify, define, and develop funding sources to support existing and planned program activities, as well as lead the development, writing, and submission of grant proposals to various funding organizations.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Excellent communication skills in writing and speaking. Is comfortable in public communications, written, online, and in-person.
- Solid grant writing skills.
- Solid grant research skills and use of grant database research.
- Proven track record raising funds through grant writing.
- Organizing research and other preparatory materials
- Solid interpersonal skills.
- Collaboration, amicability, and effective communications with team members and the ability to work cross-departmentally and multi-task
- Flexibility to work independently and in team environments.
- Deep understanding of matrilineal and matrifocal Indigenous lifeways and knowledge of Indigenous peoples, media, and concerns across Turtle Island.
Oversight and Direction:
- Receives projects and direction by working in close collaboration with the Founder/Executive Lead and collaborates with team members to collectively achieve organizational goals.
- Independently researches solutions to problems and seeks guidance from the Executive Lead/Founder when necessary.
- Confident in decision-making processes and execution of plans.
- Bring challenges and opportunities to the Executive Lead/Founder and team members.
- Are solutions and goals oriented: able to express these ideas, listen to other team members, incorporate new ideas into the solutions and goals, and keep the goals of the organization and the communities we serve at the forefront of written grants.
- Education in Journalism, Communications, Media, or related fields.
- 3+ years experience working in a grant-seeking and Grant Writing position, with an emphasis on non-profit experience.
- Deep understanding of matrilineal and matrifocal Indigenous lifeways and Indigenous media.
- Familiarity with intergenerational trauma/trauma-informed care.
Location and Travel:
This position may be carried out remotely.
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply. Please submit your Cover Letter, CV, and 2 to 3 samples of writing to [email protected].
Rematriation is an Indigenous-led organization exercising the Native American Hiring Preference for this position.